- August 5, 2020
- Posted by: Carwyn Jones AM
- Category: Latest News
Senedd Member for Bridgend Carwyn Jones has welcomed the Welsh Government’s announcement of a new £800 million stabilisation package that will help the Welsh NHS continue to respond and recover from the impact of the coronavirus crisis. This latest package of support takes the total amount of Welsh Labour Government Covid-19 support for NHS organisations to more than £1.3 billion.
The new £800m fund will:
• Help the NHS across Wales to prepare for the anticipated challenges that winter will bring including a potential second wave of the virus, normal winter pressures – and continue to increase access to essential services.
• Enable a strategic approach to the procurement of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for both the health and social care sectors – including GPs, dentists and optometrists – establishing a ‘buffer’ of supplies to respond to any second wave of infections.
• Help deliver Wales’ largest ever flu campaign, announced last month, which will ensure more people than ever will benefit from the free flu vaccine programme in preparation for winter.
• Ensure faster turnaround of test results to support contact tracing, so that Wales can respond rapidly to contain any spread of the virus.
• Provide health boards with sufficient capacity, both through existing hospital sites and access to field hospitals as a contingency, if needed.
Mr Jones said “Our health and social care services have faced unprecedented pressures in the fight against Covid-19. Our health and social care staff have gone above and beyond to support our communities, by delivering compassionate and professional care during this crisis.
“There is a real possibility that we will see further peaks during the Autumn and Winter months, so it’s great to see that the Welsh Labour Government is planning for this and is investing in this new fund now, which will support the Welsh NHS to prepare for this.”